Monday, November 24, 2008

Social Emotional Success

Compassionate Communication Success at IA!

From a mother of at first grader at IA:

I have to share with you something that impressed me tonight. My son got in trouble for shouting at his Dad, they went back and forth a little, and he was sent to his room. He came out a few moments later, and asked his Dad if he could talk to him. Little did Dad know that he was about to learn a lesson from his 6 yr.old. My son asked his Dad to please speak to him in giraffe talk. He then proceeded with the conversation, making sure to stop Dad and correct him when he wasn't doing it right. (It was so cute!) In the end they were both speaking Giraffe, both agreed to treat each other with honor and respect. It was awesome! I am so pleased that my children are learning to communicate in such a peaceful way! I see a difference in the way my daughter is communicating also. Several weeks ago she shocked me with a very mature reaction to something that I was upset about. It is amazing to me, what they have learned in only a few months....can't wait to see what else they bring home to teach Mom and Dad!

~~~

From a mother of a middle school student:

I just wanted to let you know that my son is not only enjoying school for the first time in many years, but I am also seeing such personal growth and evolving maturity. I'm not sure what all you're doing with the social emotional curriculum but he is definitely integrating the lessons and putting them into action at home. I only wish I could do as well!

Thanks for all you do.

~~~

Reminder: Mandatory Parent Meetings are on December 1st (in the Community Room in the Admin building, far East) and 4th (in the Multi Purpose Room in the Ed Building) from 7pm - 8pm (please attend one, not both).

No comments: