Sunday, January 27, 2008

Schooled the Film (originally posted on October 23, 2007)

Christine and I are pretty excited for this film! It’s based on a “free school.” At this time, Christine is working to bring a screening here to San Diego. For more details see their website at http://www.schooledthefilm.com

Update (10/24/07): I’ve been emailing with Brooks, the director, and asked how he got inspired to make this film, here’s what he said:

“I read Summerhill, then discovered Sudbury Valley, then joined the fierce ‘Taking Children Seriously’ on-line debates and over the years I kept learning more and more and becoming more and more fascinated with alternative ways to respect the autonomy of children.

The subject ran so primal for me that I HAD to make a film about it, so that I could learn even more and define for myself how much I had already learned, by sharing what I thought I knew.

At the point I first discovered this community, I had left the film business. But my interest in the subject of "Children's Autonomy" was so strong that I was called to return.

It's been a wonderful ride....”

No comments: